Press Release Archive
- New Military Lending Act rules will protect troops from predatory lending. Consumer Action, a strong advocate of reforms to protect consumers and their families, applauds the updated Military Lending Act rules.
- President takes a bold step for consumers. Consumer Action responds to President Obama’s executive order banning companies seeking government contracts from forcing their employees into arbitration over civil rights or sexual harassment claims.
- Aprende a negociar con el cobrador de deudas.
77 millones de consumidores estadounidenses tienen problemas para pagar lo que deben a tiempo, de acuerdo con un informe de Urban Institute
- WARNING: Medical credit cards may be hazardous to your financial health. Consumer Action surveyed seven medical credit cards and a handful of medical loan products and found many problems.
- Consumer Action and NBPCA partner to offer payroll card best practices for employees and employers (New guide explains how payroll cards work, options for accessing wages and how to limit or avoid fees). Consumer Action and the Network Branded Prepaid Card Association (NBPCA) have joined forces to create a four-page employee guide designed to help employers educate their employees on payroll cards, an electronic wage payment option.
- Free publication reflects consumers’ new rights, options for sending money abroad (Understand how recent changes in remittance rules and services can protect you and save you money). Consumer Action has updated its brochure on sending money abroad to reflect the 2013 federal rules governing "remittances."
- Government shutdown's impact on consumer protection (Letter urges members of Congress to find resolution ).
WASHINGTON, DC – A coalition of leading consumer groups today sent a letter to Members of Congress calling out the lapses in consumer protection…
- Consumer Action releases free Pre-purchase Resource Guide (New guide lists 41 resources to help consumers make wise buying decisions). Consumer Action’s new Pre-purchase Resource Guide lists dozens of websites and agencies to help consumers make important buying decisions. The guide breaks down resources by category, from credit cards to wireless phone service, energy savings to automotive sales and safety.
- Consumers score a big win at the CFPB.
Senate confirmation of Richard Cordray as director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is good news for American consumers, said Consumer Action, which has…
- Consumer Action survey: Most users would recommend peer-to-peer payments to others (80% of respondents report paying no fees to send “cashless” payments).
A new survey by Consumer Action, released today, finds that consumers have expanding opportunities for making small payments to others electronically with a few…
- National Lifeline Awareness Week (Consumer Action and AT&T spread word about affordable phone service for those who need it most).
U.S. Senate stands with consumers on financial reform. U.S. Senate passes comprehensive financial reform
- Financial Reform spells a win for consumers. The U.S. House and Senate conference committee passed a final bill today that includes a bureau devoted exclusively to consumer financial protection. “Consumer Action has…
- Consumer Action Anniversary and Awards. To mark its 39th year of education and advocacy, Consumer Action celebrates today with a party and awards ceremony in San Francisco.
- Consumers need relief from debt settlement rip-offs (Consumer advocates support bills aimed at debt settlement abuses). Leading consumer advocates call on Congress to act quickly to enact S. 3264, the Debt Settlement Consumer Protection Act of 2010 sponsored by Senators Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Claire McCaskill (D-MO) and H.R. 5387, the companion bill sponsored by Representatives Louis Gutierrez (D-IL), Keith Ellison (D-MN) and Gwen Moore (D-WI).
- Consumer Action helps you avoid travel 'gotchas' (Reasons to consider travel insurance for your next trip). During National Consumer Protection Week, Consumer Action releases information on a key financial protection to consider when traveling. The organization has devoted its new issue…
- Consumer groups warn of debt settlement trap (Groups offer debt-strapped consumers advice on getting real relief). For-profit debt settlement services can't be counted on to help consumers lighten their debt load.
- Consumer Action nationwide survey of financial literacy programs (Financial literacy programs in local communities have continued need for printed materials). Consumer Action, a national non-profit consumer education and advocacy organization, has published the results of a survey of community-based organizations (CBOs) titled "Implementation of Community-based…
- Avoid costly cell phone fees (Consider new low cost wireless plans instead of contract-based phone service).
Note: A streaming audio recording of the news event will be available as of 6 p.m. EST/3 p.m. PT today.
- Groups call Ticketmaster merger a 'Ticket Disaster' (DOJ asked to block proposed merger). WASHINGTON, D.C.—Joined by Members of Congress, leading public interest advocates and live event industry representatives today called on the Department of Justice (DOJ) to live…
- Stop evasions by credit card companies (Consumer advocates ask the Fed to stop issuers' schemes in advance of new law). Advocates from national consumer groups today will urge the Federal Reserve Board to close loopholes in its proposed rules to prohibit credit card companies from…
- Consumer Action testifies to House on credit card law abuses (Ruth Susswein calls for earlier effective date on credit card rules). Consumer Action will testify today before the U.S. House Financial Services Committee on the need for an earlier implementation date for the CARD Act. At…
- Warning: 'Clunker' double-dipping could occur (Taxpayers, car buyers should not have to pay twice). Consumers for Auto Reliability and Safety (CARS), Consumer Action and Public Citizen today called upon the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) to ensure, as the…
- California coalition sets August legislative priorities. Nine consumer rights organizations, including Consumer Action, have sent a letter the California Legislature outlining pro-consumer legislative priorities during the final month of the 2009…
- Groups seek crackdown on Cash for Clunkers scams (Car buyers subject to bait and switch and higher-than-usual prices). Consumers for Auto Reliability and Safety and Consumer Action today urged the U.S. Department of Transportation to act to protect car buyers from Cash for…